Infinite Safari Adventures runs safaris in several countries in east and southern Africa. Beginning this week we are going to provide you with 5 fun facts of each country we run safaris in. Since most of our safaris are in Tanzania let’s start there!
- Tanzania is just a little bit more than twice the size of California.
- Over 125 languages are spoken in Tanzania including Swahili and English.
- Tanzania has the largest concentration of wildlife animals per square kilometer, with more than 4 million wild animals and representatives of 430 species and subspecies.
- The ancestors of the wild elephants that live in Tanzania today didn’t roam on the land, they swam in the water! Dugongs were sea cows that lived in Tanzania in sheltered waters 55 million years ago. They grew about 3.5 meters in length and lived to be about 70 years old.
- Tanzania is the home of the coconut crab. This crab, the largest crab in the world (and reportedly one of the most delicious), can be found on Chumbe Island of Zanzibar.
Do you know any other fun facts about Tanzania?